29 November, 2011

Top Ten Reasons: Hairspray

This summer, I made my return to musical theater by acting in Hairspray for Sandy Arts Guild. It was a lot of things I hadn't done in a while - I hadn't acted in a full show for about two years, I hadn't done anything with a show for two years, and I hadn't been in a musical since High School. So I was little surprised and excited when I was cast in supporting lead role.


I played Wilbur Turnblad, the father of the main character, Tracy. Wilbur owns a joke shop, The Har-Dee-Har Hut, and is a mild clown. So it was basically a perfect role for me. I got to act goofy and say absolutely hilarious lines: "When I was your age, my parents begged me to run away with the circus. But I told them, 'No! That's what you want.' I got dreams of my own..."


The biggest catch to the role was I was the father of a 16-year-old. Since I'm only 25 myself, this seemed like a stretch at first. I guess the directors just thought that my nerdiness was ageless. No one ever said it was a problem so I assume it played out just fine.


Despite some production company switch-ups in the last two weeks of our rehearsals, the show was great hit. In the history of the Sandy Arts Guild, it was the third best selling show - beat only by The Sound of Music and Beauty and the Beast. It was a wonderful experience, and I'm now working to figure out the best time and show I can be a part of next year.































1 comment:

Amalie said...

I love the pictures! Zach looked great! :)